Unlimited Storage & Bandwidth???
Yeah, you read that right. Basically, this is to make life easier for you. You need not worry about storage or bandwidth overage fees as we don't put a hard limit to them.
However, there are still other areas of concern you have to take note of. If your websites are poorly optimized and/or cause issues for others sharing the same server or network (e.g. consuming an excessive amount of CPU, memory, disk I/O), you may be asked to upgrade to your own Virtual Private Server (VPS) or Dedicated Server.
While we will try to advise you on ways to optimize your websites, we cannot promise or guarantee results. You are recommended to hire a web developer to optimize your websites if necessary (web development is outside our scope of support). We generally avoid asking our customers to upgrade unless absolutely necessary, but we hope you can understand that in a shared web hosting environment, nobody, including yourself will want your websites' performance degraded due to bad neighbors on the same server.
The truth is, every other host out there has similar limitations and policies, but we strongly believe in being upfront with our customers about our policies to prevent misunderstandings and build a stronger relationship with our customers.
What are not allowed in "Unlimited" hosting?
We've seen customers consuming a large number of storage space assuming they can do whatever they want with it and backup their entire PC or start their own cloud storage service or host an extremely busy website with their cheap web hosting account and disrupted the service of other customers.
If your website's primary purpose is to consume large amount of resources, it is not allowed.
Examples of prohibited usage:
- File storage / upload / download / sharing / archive / backup / mirror / distribution sites (e.g. Dropbox / TinyPic / Mega)
- Music/video streaming (e.g. YouTube, Spotify)
- Sharing your account resources, regardless if free or paid (e.g. FTP hosting)
- Storing content or media irrelevant to an active website
- Illegal storage of copyrighted materials
Customers who require large amount of resources are recommended to purchase a dedicated server as they come with dedicated resources allocated for your server.
Please refer to our Terms of Service for a detailed list of prohibited usage.
What are the resource limits?
To maximize performance and maintain server stability, every cloud shared hosting account comes with these resource limits:
|Plan||CPU||Memory||Processes||Entry Processes||Concurrent Connections||I/O||IOPS||Inode||Emails Per Hour|
|TurboCloud Mini||1 CPU Core||1 GB||100||20||25||20 MB/s||1024||250,000||1,000|
|TurboCloud Lite||1 CPU Core||1 GB||100||20||25||20 MB/s||1024||250,000||1,000|
|TurboCloud Pro||1 CPU Core||1 GB||100||20||25||20 MB/s||1024||250,000||1,000|
The above limits are designed to give your websites room to stretch during short spikes in resources consumption. You may not use more than 25% or more of your account's resources for longer than 120 seconds (excluding inode limit and emails per hour). Your account limits may be reduced if it is found to be consistently consuming more than 25% of resources for longer than 120 seconds.
How the hell is that unlimited?!
Our policies are in place to ensure fair usage and deliver a smooth and reliable service for all our customers.
While we do not put a limit on your storage or bandwidth usage, there are various other resources that are shared with other customers on a shared hosting server.
We do not want the 0.1% of customers who want to run their own porn sites or stream the latest Marvel movie or backup their entire PC on our servers to cause disruption to the other 99.9% of customers.
Majority of our customers don't ever run into issues with the limits stated above. Those who run into issues have mostly outgrown a shared hosting environment and require more resources that can only be provided on VPS and dedicated servers.
What happens if I break your rules?
For most cases, we will contact you to request for your compliance with our Terms of Service. We generally handle such incidents on a case-by-case basis and give customers ample time to comply.
We hope this is informative and helps in improving your understanding of our policies. Please feel free to reach out to our sales team should you have questions regarding our unlimited policy.